Fees & Policies
Preparation helps checkride day go smoothly. Here are some things to know about policies and fees. If anything is unclear, please ask me.
Philosophy
My goal is to make your checkride a friendly, professional, pleasant experience. We’ll follow the applicable Airman Certification Standards (ACS), with a respectful, supportive atmosphere throughout.
Some nerves are normal, but I’ll do my part to keep unnecessary stress as low as possible. We’ll take breaks as needed. I want the experience to be as enjoyable as possible while giving you a fair evaluation.
Checkride Fees
A nonrefundable $300 scheduling fee is paid online when scheduling to reserve your chosen date. It is applied toward (subtracted from) your checkride fee, so it is not an additional cost. The remaining balance is due before the test begins.
| Service | Fee |
|---|---|
| Private Pilot | $900 |
| Instrument / Commercial | $1,000 |
| CFI-I add-on | $1,000 |
| CFI Initial | $1,500 |
| Retest following an unsatisfactory test | $500 |
| Reschedule/Discontinuance due to weather | No additional charge |
| Medical flight test | Contact me, typically $500 |
| Travel to 3CK, PWK, or 06C | No additional charge |
| Travel to other Chicago-area airports | $200 additional charge |
| Outside the Chicago area | Contact me before booking |
Location & Travel
Checkrides normally begin at my office at 3CK, in the Windsock/Blue Skies building at the east end of the airport. I can also travel to your location; travel fees are listed above.
Scheduling & Cancellations
See the scheduling page for booking, waitlist, and cancellation details.
Before Your Checkride
Please work closely with your flight instructor on preparation and scheduling.
About one week before your checkride, I’ll email an information packet with a checklist of requirements, a flight-planning scenario, answers to common questions, and other information. If you haven’t received it by then, please ask.
Other questions? Please get in touch — I’m happy to help.
On Checkride Day
You are the pilot in command and will make the final go/no-go decision based on weather and other conditions. Please review the forecast the evening before. If conditions look potentially unsuitable, contact me ahead of time so we can discuss whether to proceed or reschedule.
